How to Report a Change of Address to USCIS


There are a number of rules and regulations for foreigners to follow in the United States. One such regulation is that all foreign nationals, including legal permanent residents (green card holders) who aren’t U.S citizens, must notify the USCIS if they change their address while living in America to avoid any potential consequences or fines that could be imposed on them due to Section 265 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

The Department of Homeland Security has a legal obligation to notify the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) whenever an immigrant in America changes their address. Immigrants must send written notification within 10 days of any change, though this is generally done as soon as possible after they move house so that government agencies can give them new ID cards or driver’s licenses with updated addresses on them at once. And they don’t miss any life-changing opportunities like a job offer or an acceptance letter from college!

What is a change of address and why do you need to report it to USCIS?

Change of address simply means changing the address on your current ID card/driver’s license or passport. This is also often referred to as a “change of address” when filling out paperwork for things like tax returns or even applying for a new job, but that isn’t the same thing at all.

You must report any change in address to USCIS if you are an immigrant living in America because they have to give your new address to other federal agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) who need it to send you bills and invoices unless you’re one of those lucky people who never receive anything from the IRS except letters telling you how much money the agency owes you!

You have to tell USCIS about your new address because the agency needs to update its records on you.  Your home address is an integral part of your immigration records and if USCIS doesn’t know where you live, the chance increases that you won’t be contacted for important reasons such as notifying you about court dates or even a deportation order being filed against you!

If a foreign national or a US citizen has sponsored an immigrant move, they must notify USCIS as soon as possible. Failure to do so may result in the denial of outstanding petitions, as well as fines, jail time, and possibly deportation.

Get Quick Translation Services from Certified Translators

Who needs to notify the USCIS of their change of address?

The USCIS must be notified of a new address every time there is a change of address. This means if you are moving from one apartment to another within the same building or complex, you need to notify USCIS. If someone moves between different buildings or complexes, they still must notify USCIS. In addition, if you have moved residences and plan on filing for naturalization, it’s important to note that even in this event, notification is required because your home address is an integral part of your immigration records.

Permanent Residents

All permanent residents (green card holders) must update their address with USCIS within 10 days of changing their address, regardless of whether they have a conditional two-year card, a standard ten-year card, or any old indefinite green card.

U.S. Citizens

Only US citizens who have submitted Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) for foreign individuals need to update their address with USCIS. In this case, they must notify USCIS within 30 days of moving.

Temporary Visa Holders (Non-immigrants)

Most visa holders who move in the US and its territories have to notify USCIS of their new address within 10 days.

However, there are some exceptions. The following types of temporary visa categories are exempt from notification requirements:

  • Foreign diplomats and government officials
  • Official government representatives working in international organizations (G visa holders)
  • Those who are visiting the United States on a visa-waiver program, i.e. visitors who do not require a visa and are allowed to stay for up to 30 days.

How can you update your address with the USCIS?

For Non-citizens

The United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) offer three options:

  1.  Online, through the USCIS change of address page: Using the online change of address form is the easiest way to update your address on file with USCIS. It takes about 5 minutes to complete, and you can receive an email confirmation immediately. You should receive an email confirmation within 15 days of changing your address.
  2. Online, through your USCIS account: if you already have a USCIS account number, log in with it. If you have a form pending with USCIS, this is the best option. The online Change of Address can be used by anyone.
  3. By Mail: Form AR-11, also known as “Alien’s Change of Address Card”, is used to register address changes. If you do not use black ink and sign the form, you may be rejected. This form specifies where it should be mailed.

Language & Document Translation from Certified Translation is Available Instantly

For US Citizens

The United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) offer three options for US citizens:

  1. Online, through the USCIS change of address page: Using the online change of address form is the easiest way to update your address on file with USCIS. It takes about 5 minutes to complete, and you can receive an email confirmation immediately. You should receive an email confirmation within 15 days of changing your address.
  2. By Phone: You can let the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services know about a change in address by calling them at 1-800-375-5283, an easy number to remember!
  3. By Mail: You can easily update your address with Form I-865 (“Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address”), available from the USCIS website. This form allows you to submit any changes for each sponsor, even if they are still living at the same address.

Read Also: Form DS-160 – Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application

Information You’ll Need to Change Your Address

To change your address, you’ll need:

  • The date you moved
  • Your previous address
  • Your new addresses
  • Information about the source of income at your new residence that makes it suitable for your immigration purposes ( i.e., how long did you work there? How much money do you make from that job? )
  • Evidence of what made your prior home unsuitable for the purpose of immigration ( i.e., why were you unable to use the address on your last application? What made it too difficult to continue staying at this location before submitting a change of address form?)

Why is it important to notify the USCIS about your new address? 

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), any change in your contact information – such as a new email address, phone number, or mailing address – should be reported as quickly as possible. Doing so ensures that USCIS can communicate with you efficiently and accurately.

Living in the United States is a privilege, not a right. If you fail to comply with restrictions surrounding your residency or visa status then penalties may be enforced including deportation. Furthermore, Americans are under no obligation to “help” foreigners in the United States gain permanent residency status. For these reasons, it’s imperative that you keep USCIS updated about any changes in your address so we can provide you with important information and notifications on time.

Failure to notify USCIS of an address change usually leads to someone not receiving notice of their annual check-in at the local office scheduled for USCIS approval purposes; this lack of notification often causes the applicant’s case to be considered abandoned and terminated because they did not respond during the allotted time to the notice asking them to appear at their check-in.

Hire a Native Language Translator & Get Error Free Translations

Get Your Immigration Documents Translated By Certified Translators!!

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the federal agency that handles immigration matters in the US. One of their responsibilities is to process applications for certain benefits, such as naturalization or asylum. If you have recently changed your address since submitting an application with USCIS, it’s important to update them about the change before they send out a notice for missed appointments or other deadlines. To make sure this doesn’t happen to you, contact us today!

We’ll get everything taken care of so that you can focus on what really matters. Global Translation Help will provide you all the information you want and also provide you the immigration translation services USA.

We have experts and experienced translators who can translate immigration documents in the best possible way. We provide comprehensive translation and other document legalization services to fulfill all your requirements at a reasonable price. Contact us today for a free quote on your Immigration Translation Request!

Read Also: Immigration Work Permit – Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD)