What is Form I-765?
An I-765 form is a form of an application for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) better known as a work permit. The EAD is the document that pretty much determines whether or not you are legally allowed to work in the United States. It’s issued by the USCIS Immigration and Naturalization Service, which is also known as the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
This form can be used to help applicants get a job with the U.S. employer by showing them they are authorized to work in the US, and in some cases, it can also be used as evidence of lawful permanent resident status. This form is used to allow certain people without lawful immigration status in the United States, dependent on their circumstances, to temporarily work in the country.
Foreign nationals who are temporarily in the United States can apply for an EAD by filling out Form I-765. Based on the foreign national’s immigration circumstances, each employment authorization document is granted for a specific amount of time. A valid EAD will be provided to a foreign national who successfully completes the application for employment authorization.
Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Definitions
The EAD is a document that proves a person’s right to work in the United States.
- EAD: Issued to an eligible applicant for the first time under a specific eligibility category.
- Renewal EAD: Issued after the previous EAD expires.
- Replacement EAD: Issued when the previous EAD was lost, stolen, damaged or if the previous EAD contains errors.
Who Needs to Fill Out Form I-765?
The category includes those who are granted Employment Authorization Documents by the Department of Homeland Security or must apply for them to accept employment.
- Asylee/Refugee, their spouses, and their children
- Citizens or nationals of countries falling in certain categories
- Foreign students with active
- Student visa F-1 status who wish to pursue
- K-1 fiance visa holders
- J-1 Summer Work/Travel visa holders
- People with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)
- Spouses of exchange visitors with a certain regulation
- Eligible dependents of employees of diplomatic missions, International Organization, or NATO
- Certain employment-based nonimmigrants; limits may apply
- Certain family-based nonimmigrants
- Persons within the adjustment-of-status categories
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has begun issuing work authorization cards for certain individuals who are present in this country legally as refugees or through other humanitarian programs to allow them to be employed anywhere they want within the United States without restriction on their employer’s location by a specific job offer from an American company first being made available.
Required Documentation For Form I-765?
For a Form I-765 – Employment Authorization application, you’ll need the following documents:
- A copy of your Form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival-Departure Record (front and back)
- Passport or other travel documents
- A copy of your last EAD (if applicable)
- Two Photographs
- Birth Certificate
- A copy of a valid government-issued identity document
- If you have an AOS petition pending with the USCIS, then provide evidence of this to your I-485 green card adjustment of status application. This will speed up processing and help ensure a successful outcome for both cases!
- Form G-28 (if you are represented by an accredited representative or attorney)
How Do You Fill Out Form I-765?
In order to fill the Form I-765, Follow the instructions to complete your request process:
- Select the reason for applying(For New EAD, Renew EAD, Replacement EAD)
- Fill in the information about you including Your name, mailing address, Allien register number, gender, and marital status, etc.
- Fill the social security number (if you have one)
- Provide Family Information
- Country of citizenship and Place of Birth
- Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record Number
- Your Passport Details
- Applicant’s contact information
- Applicant’s signature
This information you need to fill in the Form I-765, after that you have to submit the form.
Read Also: DS-11 Application Form for a U.S. Passport
How Long Does it Take to Get a Work Permit?
It is estimated that it takes about 5-7 months for USCIS to process work permit applications. Previously, they processed the application within 90 days; however, due to an increasing backlog of immigration cases, this has become increasingly delayed.
What is the Filing Fee for Form I-765?
The filing fee for Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD), is $410. This service enables applicants to ask USCIS to permit them to work in the United States.
Get Translation Help From Expert Translators And Enjoy Your Free Time!!
If you are a US citizen or permanent resident and need to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) card, the I-765 form is required. This article provides information on how Form I-765 can be filled out in detail to ensure that all of your questions are answered correctly. The EAD must be applied for by filling out this form with supporting evidence and documents needed to prove eligibility.
If you are planning to get an employment authorization document, contact us today!! We’ll help you with filling the application and documents translation. globaltranslationhelp.com has a huge team of certified translators who can translate documents for immigration and other documents in your desired language. Please get in touch with our experts to get the fastest and best visa approval.